Wedderlie House and Estate stands at the foot of the sunny side of the Lammermuirs, near the source of the Blackadder Water, in the parish of Westruther. This parish (originally “Wolfsruther”) was once known as the swamp of the wolves. The original estate was around 6,000 acres, chiefly moorland.
The mansion house consists of a fortified tower, or “fortalice”, thought to date from the late 16th century, to which a larger house was added in 1680 (the date carved on a window lintel on the north side of the house). The stone window-seats and a large chimney piece can still be seen on the first floor of the old building/fortalice.
The old fortalice, which occupies the West end of the long range of building, is L-shaped, with a small wing projecting North, and is three stories high. The late 17th century addition is also on the L-plan, extending to East and North. It is three stories in height, its walls being rough-cast while those of the earlier portion are not.
The Renaissance House was added to the old keep, not only to accommodate more comfortably the family of a political Border laird, but also the growing amount of guests. By 1680, the North-West keep, with its vaulted ground floor and two apartments on each of the upper floors would have been too small and too primitive.
Wedderlie House is around 35 miles south of Edinburgh, which provides good national and international services. Berwick-upon-Tweed and the A1, lye approximately 26 miles to the east, and is on the main east coast line linking Edinburgh, Newcastle and London. The journey time to London is approximately 3 hrs 45 minutes.
The Borders area is well known for its quality of field sports, including first class grouse shooting in the Lammermuirs and a number of local pheasant shoots. The River Tweed and its tributaries are well known for their quality of salmon and sea trout fishing. There is national hunt racing at Kelso and Musselburgh and, in addition, there are numerous local golf courses, including the first class Roxburghe championship course just outside Kelso.